& Dinner Rolls
Your guide to delicious, soft & airy hamburger & hotdog buns, dinner rolls.
A VERY LARGE BOWL (to allow the dough to double or triple in size)
ADDITIONAL 1/4 CUP WARM WATER (TOTAL 1-1/4 CUPS)
1/2 TSP OLIVE OIL (TO COAT LARGE BOWL)
1 EGG WHITE
- Follow the directions on the packaging as written (don’t forget the additional 1/4 cup of warm water) until you get to the step where you form the ball of dough into a loaf.
- Form dough into smooth soft ball and place in oil-coated bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm, draftless area for one hour.
- Remove dough from bowl (should flatten down on it’s own)
- Using about a 1 ounce piece (about 2 inch round) roll and form into a roll. If making into hamburger buns, make sure to press them down once you roll them out. Should make about a dozen rolls depending on size.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cover rolls with a clean towel and allow to rise for 45 minutes (they will not quite double in size)
- Beat one egg white and lightly brush on to rolls right before placing them in the oven. If using sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or dried onion flakes, now would be the time to add them to the tops of the rolls (they should stick to the egg whites you brushed on)
- Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes till golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before enjoying.
NOTE: IF MAKING HOTDOG BUNS, YOU’LL WANT TO USE A HOTDOG FORM PAN TO CREATE THE BUNS. You can try to make them free hand, but they may not come out looking like perfect hotdog buns.